[Insight-developers] Proposal to change file naming conventions

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:41:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Johnson, Hans J <hans-johnson at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> I would contend that ".txx" is so not anything but ITK.  It is not
> natively understood as c++ code in Visual Studio, gcc, clang, kwrite, vim,
> emacs, or any other development environment.
>
> I've been playing with the clang_complete extension to vim, and the txx
> extension required that I modify clang code to recognize this file type.
> When teaching, I need to show 1/2 the students how to change kwrite to
> recognize txx
> When teaching, I need to show 1/4 the students how to change kwrite to
> recognize txx
> When teaching, I need to show 1/4 the students how to change emacs to
> recognize txx
>

> On every new machine, I need to teach vim that txx is supposed to be c++
> I don't even bother with XCode or Visual studio.  The pain is too high for
> the return on investment ( I only use them for validation testing).
>
> There are several wiki pages, and numerous mailing list queries to the
> difficulties it causes the user community.
>
> For us seasoned ITK developers this minor annoyance is not too bad, but I
> can tell you that it is a major source of frustration to the user
> community that is new to image processing.
>

> Hans

I agree with Hans - every time I have shown someone ITK they have said
"what is a txx file?". I also agree that it is annoying to have to
setup editors to recognize these files so they will use syntax
highlighting. I think the fact that they are not supported in all of
these different editors is good evidence towards txx not being a
"standard" file extension for c++ code.

David