[Insight-developers] Proposal to change file naming conventions

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 20 08:52:52 EDT 2011

Hans,

Your one reference does not support this change:

On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:13 PM, Johnson, Hans J wrote:

> There is no obvious single correct solution, but in general a common theme from other guides is that the final extension should be “.hpp” or  some suffix that ends with “.h”.  The extension should be all lower case letters (to avoid problems on case insensitive file sysetms).
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/coding-standards.html

[27.9] What header-file-name convention is best? foo.H? foo.hh? foo.hpp?

If you already have a convention, use it. If not, and if you don't need your editor to distinguish between C and C++ files, simply use .h. Otherwise use whatever the editor wants, such as .H, .hh, or .hpp.

I have my stuff configured and I don't personally see a need to change.

However, I think this issue should be deferred to those who regularly train new people.

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine