[Insight-developers] git process - merging in master before push to gerrit

Michael Stauffer (Circular Logic) mstauff at verizon.net
Tue Nov 23 15:32:28 EST 2010

Hi,

A git/gerrit question. Say I'm on a topic branch for more than a few
hours or day. I make my changes and test, then merge in from
origin/master to test against the latest changes from master.

Assuming my changes still work, do I then push directly from this topic
branch to gerrit, or do I pull out my changes into a new branch based on
the latest master so the history's a little cleaner?

If I need to pull out my changes, what's an efficient way to do that if
I've modified existing files, and not just added new ones? Use git patch
and apply it to a clean branch based on the latest master?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Micheal