[Insight-developers] gdcmIO eCT z-spacing patch

Henning Meyer tutmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 11:20:51 EDT 2010

Hello All,

I encountered problems with handling Toshiba eCT via gdcmIO, due to
failure in reading z-spacing.
I wrote a patch for InsightToolkit-3.16.0 which works for me.
Its basically looking for ImagePositionPatient-Tags inside the
PerFrameFunctionalSequence and also checking that the spacing is
continuous.

I'm still unsure whether or not it's ITKs fault. Because there also
seems to be some code doing something similar in gdcm:

./Source/MediaStorageAndFileFormat/gdcmImageHelper.cxx : 159
bool ComputeZSpacingFromIPP(const DataSet &ds, double &zspacing)

./Source/MediaStorageAndFileFormat/gdcmIPPSorter.cxx

Even though these two seems to be a bit redundant as well (double and
different definition of ZTolerance: gdcmImageHelper.cxx:246, and
dcmIPPSorter.cxx:30).

I'd be happy if we could work this out and patch the right package.
Maybe I should repost this in the gdcm-list as well....

Regards,

Henning