[Insight-developers] reading Image<Matrix> as Image<SymmetricSecondRankTensor>

Matthew McCormick (thewtex) matt at mmmccormick.com
Mon Jun 14 09:56:45 EDT 2010

Hi Luis,

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Thanks for looking into this problem.
>
> I'm a bit confused about what you suggest in your email.
>
> Are you suggesting to change the test
> in order to also exercise a 2D case ?

Yes.

> or is it the core of the change, to use an image of
> SymmetricSecondRankTensor instead of Matrix2x2
> as the source for the image ?

Yes.  In any case, I need to write an image of SymmetricSecondRankTensor to
test the bug.  For consistency, I should then change the 3D case too?  But I
do not know if reading an image of Matrix as SymmetricSecondRankTensor is
behavior that is expected.  If so, I do not want to remove the test for it.
 Also if so, readers will need to be fixed to behave this way.  Personally,
I would not necessarily expect this behavior.

> Also, have you identified the changes that we will
> have to introduce in the Writer/Reader in order to
> get this test to pass ?

Changing the file name on the test shows that MetaImage, NRRD, and NIfTI all
pass for the 3D case.

As far as I can tell, NRRD and NIfTI do not support 3 component symmetric
second rank tensor.  MetaImage does support it, but its behavior would have
to change.  I am working on adding support to the VTKImageIO, but it can not
support generic 2x2 or 3x3 matrices.

> Could you please clarify ?

Hopefully this clarifies, but let me know if it is still unclear.

Thanks,
Matt