[Insight-developers] DICOM files without preambles

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 12:42:06 EDT 2010

Mathieu,

In itkGDCMImageIO (using gdcm v1) do you recall why we require a
preamble to be present to satisfy CanReadFile? Some Slicer folks have
files without preambles and this precludes them from being recognized
as Dicom files. GDCMImageIO can read these files however.

I'm referring to the test in itkGDCMImageIO that looks like this:

  bool preamble;
  if( gdcm::Document::CanReadFile(file, preamble) )
    {
    // By default only support DICOM with preamble (DICM magic number):
    return preamble;
    }

I would like to change the code to this: (perhaps with a warning about
a missing preamble)
  bool preamble;
  if( gdcm::Document::CanReadFile(file, preamble) )
    {
    return true;
    }

Bill