[Insight-developers] Fwd: Google Groups / Nabble / Xennob comparison charts

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 7 11:51:30 EDT 2010

Are we considering moving the ITK mailing list to one of those group hosts?

My experience has been that Google Groups works well day to day, with much
less administration time hands on than running a mailing list or forum.  The
only reason not to go with Google is privacy concerns, and since we're
conducting our business as openly as possible it's a non-issue.

You can make reading entries members-only and require admin approval for
subscriptions, which would mirror the situation now.  And it's fairly easy
to export a subscriber list, then have your google group bulk-invite them.

I'm not that enamored of forums, though they seem to have their proponents.
Google Groups is a sort of middle way -- you can go to the group page and
navigate and search it the same way you would with a forum, while still
having the option of dealing with it strictly via e-mail.

I've had dealings with the Nabble, and was frustated with how that works.
The Nabble people seemed to have a hard time with the idea of only list
subscribers being able to post to a list, and thought they were entitled to
archive the mailing list I was administering, even when we explicitly told
them we didn't want them to.