[Insight-developers] Derivatives of Recursive Gaussian dx scaling?

Ivan Macia imacia at vicomtech.org
Wed Dec 29 06:48:04 EST 2010

Hello,

What you say makes sense. If the RecursiveGaussianImageFilter knows about
derivative order and spacing, it could perform the spatial normalization
too.

Regarding the GaussianDerivativeOperator, considering spacing or not inside
is really a design decision. In theory, the operator should not need to know
about image spacing, since this comes with the image function. However, in
practice, most of the related image functions use several operators and
setting coefficients for all of them in each image function could be
redundant and error prone. If you ask me, I would let the operator perform
the spatial normalization, unless I am missing some other implication.

It would be nice of the GaussianDerivativeOperator, and possibly related
image functions, could be part of the core of the toolkit :) (this
encourages me to submit some pending contributions).

Another side note is that kernel based computations could be greatly speed
up in the future by implementing them via GPU. I see that something similar
is done in CUDA ITK. I did not make any performance tests on the operator
and related and image functions, maybe they could be improved in that sense,
especially the image functions.

Best regards

Iván