[Insight-developers] GaussianFilter::NormalizeAcrossScale not good for scale space analysis

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Dec 17 09:51:40 EST 2010

Luca,

I have not returned to resolve this issue.

I assume that you are looking at the normalization factor in the current RecursiveHessain?

According to my calculations the is a mistake with applying the pixel spacing incorrectly to the normalization. That is we are being normalized by (sigma/spacing) not the physical size of  the sigma. For isotropic voxels this has only a constant scalar factor for being off. If however the pixels are anisotropic, the results will be off it a more complex fashion.

One important principle behind this normalization is that the value of a feature should be independent of the size or scale of the feature. This implies that if you scale the pixel spacing and the sigma, but don't change the pixel, you should obtain the same value. This is easy to test, I believe that the Recursive Hessian will not pass this currently. This is an extremely important property because it allows the use of different resolution images, or image pyramids.

Luca did you have a chance to look at this test I wrote:
https://github.com/blowekamp/ITK/commit/fea94cfc99775abf8ee3f04169051bd8ee348b23

Brad