[Insight-developers] gzip and metaIO

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Dec 15 10:29:44 EST 2010

In order to address some ITK bugs, changes needed to be made in MetaIO.
Stephen gave me write permission in the MetaIO SVN repository.

The recent discussion about VTK/ITK/MetaIO had to do with using an
externally built GDCM. This is another issue.  See my previous e-mail.

On 12/15/10 9:24 AM, "David Cole" <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:

> [...]
> VTK/ITK/gdcm and MetaIO....)
>

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, kent williams
> <norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>> I don't see this failure on Mac OS X or on RHEL5 builds.
>>
>> What's wrong is that I'm printing out an error message when an error
>> condition occurs, and the calling code ignores the return code for that
>> function, so it goes into an endless loop printing error messages.
>>
>> This is bad, of course; I'll see if I can figure out how to catch the error
>> code and do a more graceful failure.
>>
>> But the problem shouldn't occur, unless you're not up to date
>> ITK/Utilities/MetaIO -- that's the error message you'd see if you tried to
>> read a gzipped voxel file, without the fix I recently put into MetaIO.
>>
>> So I'm concerned that there's something screwed up with the ITK tree your
>> machines are trying to test.  An easy test to see if you've got the right
>> stuff:
>>
>> grep inflateInit2 ITK/Utilities/MetaIO/metaUtils.cxx
>>
>> If it doesn't find that function, your MetaIO is out of date.
>>
>> I am testing another change to MetaIO to propogate read errors up the call
>> chain, so that this will be an immediate failure rather than an endless
>> loop.
>>
>> On 12/15/10 5:31 AM, "Gaëtan Lehmann" <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Kent,
>>>
>>> For some days, some of my build were failing badly, sometimes crashing
>>> the host where they are running after running short in memory.
>>> The problem seems to be with the test itkMetaImageIOGzTest which
>>> produce a lot (several GB!) of warnings - see the logs at the end of
>>> the mail.
>>> ctest can't survive to this huge amount of data and die eventually,
>>> without reporting any problem on the dashboard.
>>>
>>> Any idea on what is wrong?
>>>
>>> Gaëtan
>>>

>>> [glehmann at itk1 ITK-sse64]$ ctest -R itkMetaImageIOGzTest -V | head -n100
>>> UpdateCTestConfiguration  from :/home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-
>>> sse64/DartConfiguration.tcl
>>> Parse Config file:/home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-sse64/
>>> DartConfiguration.tcl
>>>   Add coverage exclude regular expressions.
>>>   Add coverage exclude: /CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/
>>>   Add coverage exclude: .*/Testing/.*
>>>   Add coverage exclude: .*/Wrapping/.*
>>>   Add coverage glob: Source/.*/*.h
>>>   Add coverage glob: Source/.*/*.txx
>>>   Add coverage glob: Source/.*/*.cxx
>>> UpdateCTestConfiguration  from :/home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-
>>> sse64/DartConfiguration.tcl
>>> Parse Config file:/home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-sse64/
>>> DartConfiguration.tcl
>>> Test project /home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-sse64
>>> Constructing a list of tests
>>> Done constructing a list of tests
>>> Checking test dependency graph...
>>> test 1141
>>>      Start 1141: itkMetaImageIOGzTest
>>>
>>> 1141: Test command: /home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-sse64/bin/
>>> itkIOTests "itkMetaImageIOGzTest" "/home/papha/glehmann/src/tests/ITK-
>>> 1141: Test timeout computed to be: 1500
>>> 1141: Test whether MetaIO will search for a compressed data file
>>> 1141: if it can't find the uncompressed data file
>>> 1141: MET_UncompressStream: ERROR Stream is not valid!