[Insight-developers] vxl update

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Dec 9 02:37:04 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 19:59, Matthew McCormick (thewtex)
<matt at mmmccormick.com> wrote:
> It looks like the version of gcc4 installed was built without C++
> support -- there is no g++4 and there is no libstdc++.
>
> I suppose I could try building a custom g++ with a static libstdc++
> and use the 'Vanilla' Condor universe, but I will just try to stick to
> the versions of ITK that work with g++-3.4 for now.
>
> I do agree that shifting optimizations away from gcc-3 to gcc-4 would
> be good in general.  Eventually breaking gcc-3 support may be fine.
> Maybe gcc-3.4 is a different story than gcc-3.3.

My experience has indeed been that gcc-3.4 was a major improvement
with respect to gcc-3.3. I suggest we try to support gcc-3.4 for now.
There are no errors on gcc-3.4 for now right? I have no feelings about
gcc-3.3.

On the other hand, I don't see any good reason to keep optimizations
that only works for gcc-3.x. Let's try to target a decent performance
on recent compilers only and simply ensure that the code works on
older ones.

My two cents,
Tom