[Insight-developers] SimpleITK Tcon: Thursday

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Aug 12 11:39:58 EDT 2010

We have a very productive tcon this morning
about the ITK simplified layer for ITKv4.

Notes from the discussions are available at:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/SimpleITK#Tcon_topics_8.2F12.2F2010

Please feel free to add anything that I may have
missed, or correct things that I may have summarized
incorrectly.

I copy-paste them here for your convenience,
but please refer to the Wiki page in the future:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/SimpleITK#Tcon_topics_8.2F12.2F2010

since, corrections and additions will be made there.

  Thanks

Notes from discussions held during the tcon:

   - Gabe Hart reported on experiments with wrapping SimpleITK for Java
      - How to manage classpath ?
      - How to organize ITK classes into jar file.
         - Should they follow the distribution of "modular ITK" ?
       - Synergy between WrapITK and SimpleITK
      - Could we use WrapITK infrastructure to generate the instantiations
      of SimpleITK ?
   - Brad L. reported on experiments using template metaprogramming for
   selecting pixel types
   - Discussion about what pixel types to provide
      - Should they be extendable by a user ?
      - How about "unsigned long" ? (or is it Label Maps what we really
      want ?)
   - Label Maps
      - We agree in that they should be a first class citizen object, at the
      pair of the image
      - How to map LabelObjects from one image grid coordinates to another ?

         - Do we need a "resample label map" filter ?
       - Procedural look and feel
      - Should SimpleITK has a procedural look ? (ala Matlab ?)
      - Or the sequence of "create object, set parameter, set parameter....
      execute"
      - Can we have both ?
         - Without one diminishing the other ?
       - What to do with basic Arrat types ?
      - Point, Vector, CovariantVector
         - How to hide their dimension ?
      - Introduce a generic "Array" class at SimpleITK level ?
         - maybe with an internal enum indicating that it is a Point, Vector
         or CovariantVector ?
         - Manage Dimension dynamically (or hide it internally), just like
         the simple Image class.
       - SimpleITK making it look natural in Wrapped languages
      - Provide functionalities for converting ITK classes into classes of
      the target language
         - In Java: be able to convert a simpleImage into a Java
         BufferedImage
class<http://download-llnw.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/image/BufferedImage.html>,
         and back.
         - In Python: be able to convert an simpleImage into a Python
Image<http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/>or at least a python
array.
       - SimpleITK & Visualization
      - Should we provide some simple visualization capabilities ?
      - Easy conversion from ITK simpleImage to vtkImageData
      - Basic Viewer example (maybe based on Qt+VTK: or
CTK<http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Main_Page>for that matter) that
takes origin, spacing and orientation into account.