[Insight-developers] Best practices for contributing to ITK

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sun Aug 1 15:19:04 EDT 2010

On 7/30/2010 1:56 PM, Hans Johnson wrote:
> As I’m learning git, I realized that some documentation about the best
> practices for contributing to ITK would be useful.
>
> I’ve put together the start of a “Git”-centric contribution best
> practices guideline at:
>
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITKContribute
>
> I would really appreciate if someone could look this over and comment on
> if I am taking the right approach.

This is a good start.  I'm glad you're working on topic
branches.  FYI, the "push" step will currently fail because
there is a server-side check to reject merge commits.
This is a temporary measure to preserve the rebase workflow
everyone used to use in CVS.  If we allow arbitrary merges
while people are learning Git we will get some pretty ugly
history ;)

Please see here for a general topic-based workflow
we're using for CMake:

   http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Topic

It's designed to keep branchy history organized.
I also plan to setup a merge assistance "topic stage":

   http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Stage

but it is not yet ready for ITK.

-Brad