[Insight-developers] Not Really Parallel Build

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Nov 11 10:36:53 EST 2009

I have four new workstations bubles, kitty, candy, and bambi.

All of these are set up to submit a nightly build of ITK.

kitty, candy, and bambi are set up to build ITK in parallel using gmake
-i -j 16 . (There are 8 cores but gcc seems quite happy with two
processes per core.)

I wanted to experiment with using CMake's new parallel build and test
feature. So I set the build on bubbles to use CTest from CVS with the
-j8 option (Tests may not be so happy with 2 threads per core.)

I expected the build on bubbles to be half as fast as the builds on
kitty, candy, and bambi, and the testing on bubbles to be eight times as
fast as the testing on kitty, candy, and bambi.

What I got was :
	build	test
bubbles	110.5	33.4
kitty	12.6	7.3
candy	12.6	7.4
bambi	12.6	7.4

Did I incorrectly set up the parallelism with CTest?

The notes file for bubbles is here :

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewNotes.php?buildid=469434