[Insight-developers] Insight-developers Digest, Vol 61, Issue 31

Simon Warfield simon.warfield at childrens.harvard.edu
Mon May 25 15:09:02 EDT 2009

Bill Lorensen wrote:
> Simon,
>
> We still have not validated the portable rounding. Having it available
> during the upcoming release will give us a chance to make sure
> everything is correct before we make it the default. I suspect that
> once the portable rounding is validated we can do away with the old,
> incorrect way.

I think the key will be to identify the other parts of the code base
that don't work correctly with portable rounding in conjunction with a
consistent physical coordinate system,
and to move them to work correctly as quickly as possible.

That will involve understanding how the regression test results change,
and selecting the new test results which represent correct operation.
That is currently how validation of code changes are made. There isn't a
separate validation process.

Perhaps it would be better to hold off on the release, rather than incur
an additional backward compatibility burden.

--
Simon

> Bill
>
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Simon Warfield
> <simon.warfield at childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear Luis,
>>
>> Either option A or B make sense to me.
>>
>> At the moment, the patch to fix the bug of non- portable rounding,  which is
>> critical for indexes to be calculated the same way across platforms, is not
>> fully satisfactory.
>> The current patch ensures inconsistent cross-platform behavior if
>> ITK_USE_PORTABLE_ROUND is not selected.
>> This would be appropriate if we were selecting to turn on or off some
>> feature, but here it is being used to turn on or off correct behavior.
>>
>>> Let me propose two options:
>>>

>>>    A) We commit your patch, and post-pone the release
>>>       until next Saturday.
>>>
>>>       This will give us time to verify the all builds
>>>       are correct
>>>

>>>    B) We hold on the patch. Cut the release as scheduled.
>>>       and commit the patch immediately after the repository
>>>       reopens.
>>>
>>>       Once the dashboard stabilizes, we cut a patch release
>>>       ITK 3.14.1.
>>>

>>> If we are going to proceed with (A),
>>> we should at least see an Experimental build first.
>>>

>>>    What other developers think ?
>>>

>>>       Luis
>>>

>> --
>> Simon