[Insight-developers] ImageFileReader/Writer read progress

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue May 19 12:22:42 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Iván Macía <imacia at vicomtech.org> wrote:

>  Dear all,
>

> It seems like itk::ImageFileReader does not report any ProgressEvent. On
> the other hand, ImageFileWriter does seem to update progress for each stream
> division when NumberOfStreamDivisions is greater than one.
>

> Are there any plans to implement this functionality? It seems like the main
> problem is that, in that case, each ImageIO should report its own progress
> to inform the ImageFileReader if im not wrong.

That is right. The ImageIO's need to report progress. Generally (unless you
are performing a streaming read like Brad mentions below), its hard to do
so, since a lot of readers gobble 3D bulk data in one shot. Some progress
can still be added, in the sense that you could invoke an event before
decompressing, and during unzip / untar, since these libraries support
progress. But the ImageIO should do it and none of them do.

FYI: You do get progress with the ImageSeriesReader (each time you finish
reading another slice) which is the most common use case for us here, in
that we can report progress reading a stack of DICOM files.

Thanks
--
karthik