[Insight-developers] Some question on ITK registration framework

Guorong Wu grwu at email.unc.edu
Fri May 8 16:18:20 EDT 2009

Hi all,
     I am recently developing an registration algorithm (HAMMER) in ITK.
Basically, We want to start the work by following the Demons
implementation in ITK,  since ITK has a good registration framework. But
after we have implemented the registration function, we have the problem
in registration filter.
    For the registration methods in ITK, most of them assume that the
calculation of each point is not only INDEPENDENT with its nearby
points, but also the operation is same (compute the difference and the
gradient). Therefore, it takes advange of multi-thread to speed up.
Besides, the calculation of update deformation field is performed on
each point, regardless of back ground points or image points.
    However, HAMMER is different. First, the calculation of deformation
is the result of feature matching, instead of gradient-based. In each
iteration, the update is performed point by point, where the update on
particular point will be affected by the result of previously updated
one. Second, a set of salient point will be selected to update the
correspondence, not all. The deformation of other points are just
interpolated from these salient points.
    Therefore, we consider Demons implementation may be not the best
class to derive from or we need to rewrite the framework which take the
same role of itk::DenseFiniteDifferenceImageFilter. And we are not sure
if there is any filter in ITK which is similar with our case.We highly
want your suggestion to solve our problem. Thanks.

Best
GR