[Insight-developers] Multi-resolution pyramid and multi-resolution PDE deformable registration small issues

Stephen Aylward Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com
Thu Mar 5 08:11:35 EST 2009

How about making this an option?

The default behavior can be unchanged (heck, could even throw a
deprecated flag and explain why).   If the option is set then the
deprecated flag isn't thrown and you get the behaviour you'd like.

Option should be controlled by a member function (NOT a cmake option).
  Perhaps something like: AlwaysSmoothOutput or OverSmoothOutput or
some such...

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Tom Vercauteren <tom.vercauteren at m4x.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just saw a few weird things in some multi-resolution objects.
>
> First of all, the MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter will always
> produce a blurred image even with an all one schedule. This is because
> the input it always smoothed to produce the output. If the schedule at
> a given level is all one, the sigma of the Gaussian will be 0.5.
>
> This case is better handled in
> RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter. In that class, if the
> schedule is all one, the output will only be a casted version of the
> input. This makes more sense to me.
>
> Would anyone mind if I changed the behavior of
> MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter to perform the same operation as
> RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter in the case of all one
> schedule?
>

> Also it seems that RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter should
> be the default image pyramid class for most applications. It is more
> efficient than MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter when the schedule is
> downward divisible and falls back to MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter
> when it is not.
>
> Would anyone mind if I changed the default image pyramid filter in
> MultiResolutionPDEDeformableRegistration to be
> RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter instead of
> MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter?
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Stephen R. Aylward, Ph.D.