[Insight-developers] Undefined behaviors of ImageSeriesReader

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jul 29 10:55:07 EDT 2009

I am unsure of the guidelines for changing protected member variable.
ImageSeriesReader has a variable named m_NumberOfDimensionsInImage.
This is variable would be better described as something like
m_MovingSliceDimension... Can this be done for a protected variable?
Otherwise I'll just add comment to the header.

Thanks,
Brad

On Jul 29, 2009, at 12:24 AM, Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 	Thank you Luis for addressing bug 9205:
>
> In my effort to be completely examine the issue by looking at the
> behavior of itkImageSeriesReader with regards to the dimensions in
> the image files not matching expectations I became overwhelmed.
>
> First consider the case when only _one_ image is specified.
>
> 1)  IO Dimension (from file) -1 == ImageDimension (tempted image type)
>
> This is what's expected, but handeling of IO Dimensions padded with
> 1's was not handled correctly. Should work now with Luis commit.
>
> 2)  IO Dimension (from file) == ImageDimension (tempted image type)
>
> This still does not work. Wrote a test which fails.
>
> 3) IO Dimension (from file) -1 < ImageDimension (tempted image type)
>
> I am unsure if this would fail, still need to write a test
>
> 4)  IO Dimension (from file) > ImageDimension (tempted image type)
>
> This works as the ImageFileReader takes care to the dimensionality
> issues. It'll truncate the extra dimensions.
>

> The one case which is really unclear to me is case 2. What is the
> expected behavior?  Consider this specific example,
> itk::ImageSeriesReader<Image<float,3> >, where its input is set to a
> single image file which also happens to be 3D, say with a size of
> [10, 10, 10]. Is the largest region from the series reader expected
> to be [10, 10, 10] or [10, 10, 1].
>

> Then I still need to look at the behavior for multiple images under
> similar cases.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad
>

> <ATT00001.txt>