[Insight-developers] itk::Math:: limitations (was: Using Math::Floor in interpolation code?)

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Tue Jul 21 09:38:54 EDT 2009

Hi Brad,

If the INT_MAX/2 limitations seems to restrictive for your needs, we
could also write some 64-bit variants of the itk::Math:: rounding
routines.

I made a small experiments (see attached file for linux) in that
direction. The optimized floating point to integral type conversions
functions can be ported to 64 bits. the good news is that the
performance improvement is still there (roughly a times 4 on both 32
and 64 bit linux and a time 2.5 on 32 bits mac). Note that we still
have similar limitations, i.e. it wont be meaningful for arguments
which absolute value is greater than 2^(64-2) (note the -2 instead of
-1) and we expect the FPU to be in the default rounding mode.

Would this seems better to you? We could then either modify the
existing itk::Math:: routines or add some 64bits variants, e.g.

  int Round(float   x);
  int Round(double  x);
  long long int Round64(double  x);

Unfortunately we cannot add "long long int Round(double  x);" because
MSVC 6 does not support covariant return types. Also a few points to
keep in mind are that:
- int may not be 32 bits
- long long int  may not be 64 bits
- On a standard machine, float can represent integers exactly only up
to 2^24 and double can do it up to 2^53. This means that strictly
speaking switching between continuous indexes (doubles) and indexes
(long long?) is somewhat inconsistent.

Thoughts?
Tom

P.s. : Below are the reported times for the attached experiment

on a linux 64 bits machine:
time_ref:   794.103
time_llround:1735.42
time_llrint: 357.661
time_asm:   283.258
time_sse2:   188.613
time_sse2_32bitsimplementation:   188.609

on a 32 bits mac
time_ref:   1272.14
time_llround:1491.39
time_llrint: 669.917
time_asm:   505.983
time_sse2_32bitsimplementation:   257.107