[Insight-developers] Bug in ImageBase causing extra updates

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Feb 9 12:12:08 EST 2009

Hello,

	I found the following bug and am looking to  see if anyone sees any
complications with the proposed fix of this:

http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=8490

It can be easy noticed (comments say it's wrong):

template<unsigned int VImageDimension>
void
ImageBase<VImageDimension>
::Initialize()
{
   //
   // We don't modify ourselves because the "ReleaseData" methods
depend upon
   // no modification when initialized.
   //

   // Call the superclass which should initialize the BufferedRegion
ivar.
   Superclass::Initialize();

   // Clear the offset table
   memset( m_OffsetTable, 0, (VImageDimension+1)*sizeof(unsigned
long) );

   // Clear the BufferedRegion ivar
   this->SetBufferedRegion( RegionType() );
}

and

template<unsigned int VImageDimension>
void
ImageBase<VImageDimension>
::SetBufferedRegion(const RegionType &region)
{
   if (m_BufferedRegion != region)
     {
     m_BufferedRegion = region;
     this->ComputeOffsetTable();
     this->Modified();
     }
}

In addition to the manifestation mentioned in Mantis, it also occurs
in itkImageFileWriterStreamingTest2.cxx in the "=== Updating
mismatched IORegion ==".

Unfortunately the itkShiftScaleInPlaceImageFilterTest.cxx uses the
FilterWatcher. So if the execution of this filters is not as expected,
then the test will still pass.

Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for