[Insight-developers] Limits of Histograms' FrequencyType

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Oct 22 09:12:05 EDT 2008

The problem with creating a a double DenseFrequencyContainer is that
the Histogram class with then have conflicting types for it's
FrequencyType, one from the container the other from the Superclass,
SampleType. This created problems with at least one virtual function.

Another possible solution would be just to improve the algorithm in
ListSampleToHistogramGenerator so that if there is over 2^24 samples
then it would chunk it up and use an iterative total histogram +
accumulator histogram. This would only cause a small loss of precision
but would give reasonable results. Perhaps this would also give an
opportunity to parallelize this part too.

On Oct 21, 2008, at 2:50 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am causing trouble with my large data sets again. I am seeing this
> number a lot in my histograms: 1.67772e+07 which is 2^24 and the
> limit of mantissa for 32-bit floats. Unfortunately, the frequency
> container types don't take this as a template parameter. It seems
> silly to create another container just for this purpose.
>
> Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine