[Insight-developers] Empty FixedArray destructor: Performancehit using gcc : [ Mac Guru needed ! ]

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jun 10 15:39:18 EDT 2008

As this just showed up on just the apple "Release" build I think that
it's just due to different standard "-03" optimizations options on the
apple versions of gcc (I am not sure if it's changed with gcc 4):

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/gcc-3.3/gcc/Optimize-Options.html

I also tried a third timed loop on the test, and the performance of
the later two passes were the same, so I think there is also cacheing
involved in the perforce difference. But this does not explain it all
since increasing the number of passes per timed loop produces linear
increase in the time of the passes.

> still have a 50% change in performance when moving the base
> pointer of an array of FixedArrays, despite the fact that
> the empty destructor of the FixedArray has been removed.

It does not look like the pointer moves between the two passes since
it's 8 byte aligned to begin with.

I also noticed that a lot of test passed with 0ms for both of the times.

On Jun 10, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Mac Guru Needed !
>

> We need help from a Mac Guru to understand why the following
> Mac builds:
>
> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testSummary.php?project=2&name=itkFixedArrayTest2&date=20080610
>
> still have a 50% change in performance when moving the base
> pointer of an array of FixedArrays, despite the fact that
> the empty destructor of the FixedArray has been removed.
>

> Thanks for any help, advice or hint,
>

>   Luis

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for