[Insight-developers] Empty FixedArray destructor: Performancehit using gcc (times 2)

Niels Dekker niels-xtk at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 6 13:38:25 EDT 2008

Bill Lorensen wrote:
> OK, I am way out of my league here, but the difference may be the way
> POD ("Plain old Data") types and non-POD types handle memory
> allocation.
>
> See:
> http://www.fnal.gov/docs/working-groups/fpcltf/Pkg/ISOcxx/doc/POD.html
>
> It may be, that by having a destructor, the class becomes a non-POD
> class. Without it, it may be a POD class.

It may be... but FixedArray still has a user-defined copy assignment
operator, so "officially" it still wouldn't be a POD.

My impression so far is that GCC interprets the presence of a
user-defined destructor in a very GCC-specific way...  It shouldn't
/necessarily/ change the way things are aligned.

> Perhaps Brad King can shed some light on this. These questions are NOT
> out of his league.

Kind regards, Niels