[Insight-developers] Livewire

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 18:08:58 EST 2008

On 08/02/2008, david Brayford <dbrayford at sci.utah.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone implemented a version of Livewire using ITK and if so is the code
> available?

Hi David,

I have implemented the Fast Marching geodesic (minimal) path
extraction method in ITK as described by Sethian (see Level Set
Methods and Fast Marching Methods, 2nd ed, chapter 20). Rather than
using Dijkstra's algorithm (as in Live Wire), this method computes a
minimal path between a set of user specified points using a Fast
Marching arrival function. This Fast Marching approach returns a
continuous path, as opposed to a discrete path. The framework I have
implemented can be used to mimic Dijkstra's algorithm by using a
nearest neighbour interpolator when minimising the cost function
(although obviously not as computationally efficient as pure
Dijkstra).

I plan to make the framework available via the Insight Journal shortly
(when I find the time!). In the meantime, if you are interested, I can
forward you the project as is. If you are after a pure implementation
of Live Wire, then this will be of little help; however if you are
after something that does a similar job, then it may be of some use.
Let me know.

Cheers, Dan