[Insight-developers] Licence

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Sep 11 17:42:52 EDT 2007

Hi Alex,

The Creative Commons license is more intended for works of art
than for source code (software), although the terms could probably
be interpreted in the context of software.

----------

See for example the definition of the "Work"

*"Work"** means the literary and/or artistic work offered under the
terms of this License including without limitation any production in the
literary, scientific and artistic domain, whatever may be the mode or
form of its expression including digital form, such as a book, pamphlet
and other writing; a lecture, address, sermon or other work of the same
nature; a dramatic or dramatico-musical work; a choreographic work or
entertainment in dumb show; a musical composition with or without words;
a cinematographic work to which are assimilated works expressed by a
process analogous to cinematography; a work of drawing, painting,
architecture, sculpture, engraving or lithography; a photographic work
to which are assimilated works expressed by a process analogous to
photography; a work of applied art; an illustration, map, plan, sketch
or three-dimensional work relative to geography, topography,
architecture or science; a performance; a broadcast; a phonogram; a
compilation of data to the extent it is protected as a copyrightable
work; or a work performed by a variety or circus performer to the extent
it is not otherwise considered a literary or artistic work.

-----------

We use the Creative Commons Attribution license for the text of papers
posted to the Insight Journal, and we certainly have a very favorable
view of this license.

Adopting a BSD or MIT license for your code will make a lot easier to
move all or parts of it later into ITK, if we were to move it as an
unmodified piece, the way we make use of TIFF, JPEG and VXL, for
example.

If we were to adopt pieces of your code, in the form of actual ITK C++
classes that get integrated into ITK, at that point we will actually
ask you for a *Copyright Transfer*, and once we have the copyright of
that code we will be entitled to distributed under the ITK license.
Of course we honor the credits to the authors of the code.

That is, your choice of license only matters if you plan to implement
your code as a "library" to be annexed to ITK in the Utilities
directory. In that case, we will need your license to be compatible
with the BSD-like license of ITK. Both the MIT and BSD license will
work in that case.

For an excellent overview of Open Source Licenses you may want to
look at Lawrence Rosen Book:

           http://www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm

Please let us know if you have other questions.

      Thanks

         Luis