[Insight-developers] Memory leaks after reading some dicom files

Massimo Esposito mass.esposito at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:07:27 EST 2007

Hi list,
i have a problem. My application reads dicom files but when i close it i
detect memory leaks .
I used itk 2.4 and i didn't have this problem. Now i ported my code to itk
3.0 or itk 3.2 and i detected this strange behaviour.
But it happens only with some series, that is,  sometimes, after having
opened some dicom files, i can close my application correctly, sometimes
memory leaks are generated (i noted to have problems with file without
extensions, but maybe it is casual).
I tried to read these dicom files that generated memory leaks and then to
write them using GDCM embedded in itk. If i read this files written with
GDCM no memory leaks are generated.
Besides, if i try to use itk::DicomImageIO2 instead of itk::GDCMImageIO  no
memory leaks are generated in any cases, but using itk::DicomImageIO2 i
can't read all the header dicom's tags.
Instead, using  itk::GDCMImageIO, i do it. Moreover,  if i call the
updateoutputinformation member instead of update one of the reader,  the
number of memory leaks is lower but still present.
So i think there are some problems about reading the dicom header.
My code worked fine with itk 2.4!!
Can someone help me?
Thanks a lot,
Max