[Insight-developers] Re: Review Directory : Coding Style Problems

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Feb 15 14:38:45 EST 2007

I don't know why this mail is sent only know. All the mails I sent about
that subject were sent the same day.
I surely don't want to restart this discussion.

Sorry for the wrong post, I really don't know what is happening.

Gaetan

Le Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:48:51 +0100, Gaetan Lehmann
<gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> a écrit:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:26:40 +0100, Stephen R. Aylward
> <Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> My vote is a cvs commit check.   I think that is a great idea.
>>
>> Full disclosure - it does mean that some people wanting to fix one line
>> in a filter will need to change multiple lines in the filter in order
>> to commit their fix - since many filters already have lines that are
>> too long.
>>
>> It really isn't that painful of a process, and we aren't the only ones
>> doing this.  KDE is adopting KWStyle checker - using KWStyle reduces
>> the learning curve for a library.  Consistent line lengths helps with
>> rapid (human) code parsing.
>
> Does "consistent line lengths" mean "80 characters" ?
> If "many filters already have lines that are too long", perhaps is there
> a reason ?
>
> Again, I can't understand the reaction of the itk core developers to a
> proposition which is everything but stupid. Roughly, all what I get is
> "it's like that" (Bill), a huge exageration of what I'm proposing to
> demonstrate that's a bad idea (Luis), and "we'll force you to go against
> what you proposed" (Stephen). Again I'm wasting my time trying to
> communicate with a wall.
>
> It seem I'm not allowed to propose anything - a strange way to manage a
> community -, so please go ahead, add all the commit check you want.
> In that conditions, I'm not sure I will care of fixing the line lengths
> of a file to fix a bug - it may be a bug fix lost.
>
> Gaetan
>

>> Stephen
>>
>> Bill Hoffman wrote:

>>>   Like it or not, the line lengths are here to stay, so the best
>>> approach would be to write the code with the correct line length to
>>> begin with.  Many editors can be setup to flag or notify you that the
>>> line length is past the limit.   Another approach, might be to make
>>> this a cvs commit check. That way the code never makes it to the
>>> dashboard with the long lines.
>>>  -Bill

Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr