[Insight-developers] Re: Problems with Obj C Tests on VS6 / VS7 / VS8

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Aug 28 14:25:28 EDT 2007

Bill, Mathieu, Sean

I looked at this problem. It actually happens in all
versions of Visual Studio, including VS8.

The TRY_COMPILE happily answers "TRUE" on Visual Studio,
despite the fact that there is no Objective-C compiler
available for Visual Studio.

I surrounded the TRY_COMPILE with a IF/ENDIF(WIN32),
and to avoid confusion replaced the variable

          CMAKE_OBJCXX_COMPILER

with

          CMAKE_OBJCXX_COMPILER_WORKS

to be consistent with the try compiles that CMake/Modules has
for the Fortran and Java compiler. The ides is to differentiate
between the boolean variable that indicates whether the compiler
works or not, and the string variable that contains the actual
path to the compiler.

Sean, Mathieu:

You may want to verify if the TRY_COMPILE is actually compiling
by purposely (and locally) introducing a syntax error in the .mm file.
I'm under the impression that this is simply answering TRUE always...

    Luis