[Insight-developers] Adding Concept Chechking "float"/"double" to pixel type of GradientAnisotropicDiffusion

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Wed Aug 15 12:14:06 EDT 2007

> On 8/15/07 8:12 AM, "Bill Lorensen" <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Luis,
> >
> > This change may cause backward compatibility problems. Old code may no longer
> > compile and the compiler error for the conept checking is cryptic on some
> > compilers. We should warn the user and give explicit instructions on how to
> > repair the code in the warning message.
> >
> > I understand that the current code is not producing correct results. But that
> > is the fault of the itk development team and not the user of the code. We
> > should notify users in an instructive way on how to fix their code so that it
> > produces correct results. A cryptic compiler error is not informative.

For my curiousity only: how is it a failure of the ITK development team?
Naively, it seems the failure is not to have had the concept checking
from Day 1.  Or did you have something else in mind?

For what it's worth (not being an ITK developer and never having seen
the fallout of a concept check failure), I tend to agree with Luis.
IMHO, it is better to have the build fail than the execution because
the user may not be in the position to fix the error, assuming they
see the message at all.

Regards,
-Steve