[Insight-developers] FlatStructuringElement

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Fri Sep 29 17:04:40 EDT 2006

Hi Luis,

I see you have done some changes in the FlatStructuringElement code.
I'm afraid those changes are breaking some features of the class, and are
making some strange things:
- FromImageUC() is declared twice, with a different number of args. This
was made because with wrappers, the default values are not used, and we
must give a value, even if a default value exist in the c++ code.
- Same thing for GetImage().
- If FromImage() and GetImage() are not templated, there is no need for
FromImageUC(), and GetImageUC()
- The pixel type is not a major parameter for this class. Only the
dimension is important. Giving the Image type used only to create a
structuring element from an image, and to produce an image from a
structuring element, will confuse the user who will think that's the type
of Image on which the structuring element can be used. Can't we keep the
templated methods GetImage() and FromImage() ? There is some other
templated methods in ITK, like the
TransformContinuousIndexToPhysicalPoint() and
TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint() methods of the Image class. At least, it
should be the second template parameter, and should get a default value
(Image< unsigned char, VDimension).

Have you read the description submited to the insight journal ? It surely
not in very good english, but should describe clearly enough some of the
problems above.
http://insight-journal.org/dspace/bitstream/1926/308/2/Consolidated_morphology.pdf

By the way, I thought the API should be discussed in the IJ (I have
submitted the article for that). I'm surprised to see you are changing it
without discussion :-/

Please let me know what you want to do.

Gaetan

--