[Insight-developers] IJ Volunteers

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 21 17:35:49 EDT 2006

So I've been thinking about the relationship between the IJ and ITK
for the last few days now.

I think there's no reason to suspect that the IJ has been a failure
in any of its goals -- except getting user-provided reviews for ITK-
targeted submissions. It provides a good repository of code people
can use (and, hopefully, have been using). The design documents that
make up IJ submissions are very useful to have for any user of the
code, and especially if that code is to be integrated into ITK.
Finally, there are a lot of great code submissions on it right now.

That, coupled with Stephen's report about IJ working really well for
the MICCAI process makes me feel pretty good about the mechanism as a
whole. The only snag is that for some reason there are fewer user
reviews than hoped. And this even wouldn't be a huge problem except
that the mechanism for inclusion in ITK is predicated on number of
reviews.

All in all, I think the IJ is the right way to go forward with making
ITK a self-sustaining project. There are just some minor tweaks that
need to be made, which could include:

(1) Change the way that IJ submissions are considered for ITK
inclusion. Grassroots-acclaim in terms of many positive reviews
should still be a valid method (and may be used more in the future as
the IJ picks up steam), but while it does so (and in case it does
not), there should be other options.

Perhaps a more traditional method (like most open-source projects
use) could be considered: someone proposes some new functionality (in
this case, by putting it on the IJ). Then they ask about it on the
developer list, and if there are a few 'ayes' from the list and no
'nays', then one of the devs with commit priviliges (presumably one
of the 'aye' voters, or the feature-proposer him or herself) could
add it. I'm really not sure that I see anything wrong with this
approach -- it works for a lot of other projects, and it still uses
the IJ pretty integrally.

Or if something more "democratic" sounds good, perhaps there could be
quarterly polls where people vote for their favorite IJ features that
should be included. This is lighter-weight than getting reviews, and
might get more use. Top vote-getters could be reviewed by interested
parties, or just directly discussed on the dev list.

(2) Figure out how to get more reviews. Clearly in the MICCAI case,
people were incentivized to write reviews for many reasons: to learn
about new science, to participate in a conference, etc. Equally
clearly, there are fewer incentives to write reviews for the IJ.

I had one suggestion -- correctly criticized by Torsten -- about
requiring people to write reviews before they can get their own IJ
submissions integrated into ITK. This is clearly lame, because it's
no fun to have to do even more work (on top of an IJ submission) to
give a gift. However, it's also lame to give a gift and have nobody
use it because it didn't get reviews. So while this proposal might
not be the best, perhaps there are other good ideas for having better
incentives to review code.

Also, I still think that including some/all of the IJ code in a
special dir within ITK might help expose run-of-the-mill ITK users to
the IJ, and might help solicit reviews.

Zach