[Insight-developers] Mattes mutual information metric additions

Lydia Ng lydiang at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:06:01 EDT 2006

Here my 2 cents worth:

One of the pro/benefit of the Mattes approach as stated in the paper was
that
an *analytical* derivative of the metric can be computed. The original paper
used a BSpline interpolator and BSpline transform. We generalized the
approach by allowing different interpolators and transforms.

It is my understanding the histogram based version of the mutual information
metric does not have this property and relies on the derivative to be
estimated or require the use of an optimizer that does not require the
derivative.

While I am sure there is much debate about which approach is
better/efficient/accurate, I think as a toolkit there should be room for
both.

I hope that any direct change to the Mattes class would keep the "analytical
derivative" property intact. Otherwise, I think the modification should
rightly belong in a subclass.

- Lydia