[Insight-developers] Mattes mutual information metric additions

Miller, James V (GE, Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Tue May 30 16:43:52 EDT 2006

Karthik,

I would have thought MI would have gracefully handled the situation of
regions with very high intensities. The MI value does not use the intensity
value itself in the metric computation, just the probability that that
intensity maps to another intensity in the other image.  If these regions
of high intensity do not map consistenly to another intensity in the other
image, then they should appear as baseline noise to the metric and have
little effect.

What could be having an affect is how the pdfs are constructed. When
you have a few pixels of high intensity, the sampling of the pdf (bin widths)
gets out of whack and you loose resolution in the pdf for the features
(intensities) you are really interested in. Since the pdf representation becomes
inaccurate, I could see the registration failing if this happens.

This is classic problem in kernel density estimation.  There are several
strategies to address it: non-uniform bins, hierarchical pdfs, band-width
selection techniques, etc.  Perhaps one of these solutions should be
investigated.

The approach that you are proposing essentially censors the data.  I am not
sure that I am in favor of this at the Mattes metric layer.  Perhaps
data censorship could be handled at a higher level whereby all image
metrics could benefit.  Data censorship usually leads to a set a
robust statistical techniques (M-estimators to replace least squares, etc.).
These would have general applicability and solve a number of problems
in image registration (registering data pre- and post-implant, etc.).

Alternatively, you could transform the PET data to SUV (standard uptake value)
instead of using the raw counts.  This would bring the dynamic range
of the data down to [0, 6] or so.  There are many formulas for calculating
SUV based on data in the DICOM header.

Jim