[Insight-developers] Suggestion for ITK build/install process: Don't overwrite headers unless they change?

Kent Williams kent at psychiatry.uiowa.edu
Mon May 15 10:14:41 EDT 2006

This may actually be a CMake feature request, but I thought I'd bring it
up here first.

When I am building an application using ITK, WrapITK, etc I do so
against the CVS versions of all package. Each package gets configured,
built, and installed as part of an overall make process.  For better or
worse, this means I'm constantly running my own code against 'bleeding
edge' versions of several packages.

One thing that's a little annoying about this system is this:  As an
example, WrapITK depends on my installed ITK.  If a few things have
changed in the ITK library -- even if it only touches a couple of files
-- the entire set of libraries and header files are copied to the
installation directory.  Then, if I build WrapITK, it generates and
recompiles everything, because the modification times on all the ITK
headers makes them newer than the object files in WrapITK.

It would be great in this context if CMake only copied files that were
changed to the installation directory, so that any dependent libraries
wouldn't get re-built unless there was a real change to ITK.

Or am I going about this multi-library build system thing all wrong?