[Insight-developers] Fixing itk::PathToImageFilter (again)

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 31 21:08:02 EST 2006

Hi folks,

This is a ping about the status of the changes I recommended a couple
of months ago for the itk::PathToImageFilter class. These changes are
necessary to make it into a usable base class.

It was suggested that I put the modified class files up on the
Insight Journal -- not as a journal submission per se, but just as a
place to put a few files so ITK devs could look at the changes and
see if they were useful. I did so, and have heard nothing since.

To recap, the current itk::PathToImageFilter is extremely
problematic: it purports to be a base class, but actually implements
filter functionality, and does so in such a way as to make it very
difficult to subclass the filter.

My proposed fixes include refactoring this class into two, and
deprecating the inappropriate functionality in PathToImageFilter. And
yes, the changes scrupulously follow the deprecation policy. (Because
of the deprecations, I was hoping to get this into ITK 2.6, so that
the nasty stuff would be rooted out *before* people started relying
on that functionality, but oh well.)

Here's the IJ link (I wrote up a brief PDF describing the changes in
more detail, too):
http://www.insight-journal.org/view_publication.php?&pubid=74

Now that the push for ITK 2.6 is over, could we look at getting these
changes into ITK? Remember, these are maintenance changes to make
existing functionality work, not new functionality. It's only on the
IJ because I was told to put the files there.

Zach