[Insight-developers] Making metaio a configurable namespace

Stephen R. Aylward Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com
Mon Mar 20 14:14:56 EST 2006

Looking closer - why did you make it a configurable namespace?

The seems quite complicated to me - I completely understand what you've
done, and what you've done is a very cool use of CMake, but these
changes introduce non-standard commands (#include
METAIO_HEADER(headerfile.h)) and config options that will scare away
other casual users and developers.   We need to remember to program for
casual users, not just experts.

Also, your modifications move the location of the .h files - as a result
every project that uses MetaIO directly will need to modify their
CMakeLists.txt file to include a new include directory path.   This is
not backward compatible.   It cannot be accepted into ITK.

What is the problem that you are trying to fix?

When we had discussed this I envisioned a much simpler solution - a
CMake option passed as a compiler var, and in the code a simple
bracketing with #ifdefs would enable/hide namespace definitions.   The
default would be no namespace, so everything would be 100% backward
compatible.

Stephen