[Insight-developers] ITK 2.8 Repository Tagged & Branched

Julien Jomier julien.jomier at kitware.com
Tue Jun 6 12:01:19 EDT 2006

Hi Gaetan,

Reviewing a paper can be interesting but sometimes it can be really
painful (talking from my own experience here). We just have to accept
that this is a necessary step.

Couple of things we can do in order to improve the review process:

1) Send automatic email to the users/developers lists when a new
publication is submitted to the IJ (Luis had this idea before and it's
almost implemented).

2) Have an editor for the IJ who will select the appropriate reviewers
and set a deadline when the reviews are due. (I tend to wait until the
last moment to review a paper and if I don't get a reminder then I tend
to forget about it...)

3) Send automatic email when a paper had no/few reviews for a long time
to encourage users and developers to sign up for reviews.

4) Publish a newsletter (or something like that) with the new
contributions and the names of the reviewers. This will somehow reward
reviewers (as well as authors).

If you have any other ideas I'm open to suggestions.

For the last 6 months we've received 21 publications for ITK, which
makes about one publication a week (not that bad...).
We didn't envision using the IJ as a tollgate for ITK contributions in
the first place and I really think if we improve the IJ to fit this
design it will get better.

Julien