[Insight-developers] JPEG Lossless and JPEG 2000

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Jul 6 09:49:42 EDT 2006

Hello,

	I am currently working on integrating JPEG Lossless and JPEG 2000 into
GDCM. This will allow people to save their DICOM files as compressed
JPEG lossless or JPEG2000. I have several question:

1. The current ITK mechanism only allow a boolean for compression. Thus
I will not be able to distinguish in between jpeg lossless from jpeg2000.

2. Is there anybody interested in jpeg lossy support for DICOM (defined
in standard but I don't see any real interest AFAIK). If the answer is
yes ITK would need a notion of `quality` to be pass from the ImageIO
down to the jpeg lib.

3. Is anybody interested in saving directly JPEG lossless or JPEG 2000
(j2k) files? In which case I would need to either update itkJPEGImageIO,
create an itkJPEGLosslessImageIO, and/or create a new itkJPEG2000ImageIO.

These are a couple of questions I would like to discuss on the next T-con.

Thanks,
Mathieu