[Insight-developers] PolyLineParametricPath

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 30 15:08:52 EST 2006

Hi folks -

Yesterday I wrote up a 'marching squares' implementation to extract
image contours into a PolyLineParametricPath, so this discussion is
vaguely relevant to me. (The plan is to submit that to the Insight
Journal so that ITK can have a proper 2D contour extractor filter.)

Given that, my (minor) preference is to have this fix incorporated
(via Journal submission or no) into
PolyLineParametricPath::IncrementInput() instead of creating a
separate subclass. Having to decide which subclass to output is a
pain for people writing path creation filters.

Perhaps Jeffrey can clarify this: are there any cases in which the
current ParametricPath::IncrementInput() would be superior to the
proposed replacement for PolyLineParametricPath?

If not, I see no reason not to include the patch directly into the
PolyLineParametricPath class. If so, that would argue for making a
subclass, or figuring out how to automatically choose which algorithm
to use, or providing an intelligent default and having a user-
selectable switch. In my mind, the latter two would be better than
subclassing.

Zach Pincus
Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine