[Insight-developers] Re: integrating the new algorithms for existing filters in ITK

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 19:11:12 EST 2006

Just a note about the reconstruction filter - there is some ugliness
relating to performance experiments in that class that will need to be
removed.

Those experiments highlight a general problem about how difficult it
is to design efficient general pupose boundary conditions. In queue
based morphological algorithms a common strategy is to pad the images
with a max or min to provide a border. In itk this can be done
explicitly or implicitly - explict padding results in a quicker
filter, but higher ram usage. Optimization using face calculators is
not an option in many cases. Sacrificing a border pixel is also
possible to improve performance.

The same strategy can also be used in watershed and regional extrema filters.

It would be nice if we could establish a few conventions that support
these options consistently.