[Insight-developers] CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release and -frename-registers

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Aug 31 05:57:31 EDT 2006

Hi,

For some time, some tests produced by my release build are running for
ever (I have even stop submitting to the dashboard, because the tests are
too long).
It seems that everything is fine when building with the default options of
my distro:

   -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i586
-mtune=pentiumpro -fasynchronous-unwind-tables

The only important difference seems to be the -O2 instead of the -O3 used
by default for the Release CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE.
According to gcc man:

   -O3 Optimize yet more.  -O3 turns on all optimizations specified by -O2
       and also turns on the -finline-functions and -frename-registers
       options.

But -frename-registers is a rejected option in ITK, so shouldn't
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release set the gcc options to

   -O2 -finline-functions -DNDEBUG

instead of

   -O3 -DNDEBUG

?