[Insight-developers] astronomy images, SpecialCoordinatesImage and ImageIO

Michael Halle mhalle at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 29 13:11:08 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm part of the team working to get FITS astronomy images into ITK.
During the last programmer's week, Doug Alan got volume reading
completed;  now we're working on quantitative information.

I've hit a code structuring issue and I'd like some advice.  FITS images
have potentially complex physical to index transforms, and we have a
library that will take care of those transforms for us.  So, we need to
use an image that allows us direct access to the methods like
TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint and their inverses.

It looks like a SpecialCoordinatesImage is a good base class for this
type of image, since these Transform* methods are the only ones left
abstract.

The problem is that if we implement the Transform* methods in a subclass
of SpecialCoordinatesImage, we're specializing both the ImageIOBase
subclass and the ImageBase subclass to be able to read FITS files.

It seems like it would be nice to contain the FITS-specific information
in a subclass of ImageIOBase, and have a concrete subclass of
itkSpecialCoordinatesImage just use the Transform* information it gets
from this class.

So, should we just take the simple approach and create both FITSImage
and FITSImageIO classes, or look at the cleaner but more complex approach?

Thanks for any advice....

Michael Halle
Surgical Planning Lab / Harvard IIC