[Insight-developers] Volunteers to be IJ associate editors

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Aug 21 15:20:23 EDT 2006

Le Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:38:51 +0200, Julien Jomier
<julien.jomier at kitware.com> a écrit:

> Hi Gaetan,
>
> Very good question.
>
> The system actually sorts the reviewers by relevance for a given paper
> based on the reviewers' preferences and the keywords of the paper. Right
> now the review preferences are not complete but we plan to extend the
> list soon.

I think also that this list should comes with a description of the items.
Differentiate each item is surely not always obvious (it's not obvious for
me). For the list, perhaps can you provide a text fields rather than a
hard coded list ? This should help to fit more precisely to users need.
Also, I can't remember if I haven't filled this list when I created the
account, or if it wasn't there at all, but nothing is set in this list in
my account, and I'm quite sure that's the same for lots of IJ users. The
knoledge of the toolkit can also have change since the creation of the
account, so some items may have to be updated. Perhaps will you have to
send a reminder to incite the users to update their settings, for example
every six months ?

I hope (I think) it will help to have more reviews in the journal.

The next important thing will be, I think, to be able to have a discussion
easily on the journal. It means (to me):
- receive a notification even if I'm the second author
- receive a notifications for comments to a review
- optionaly, being able to reply to the email in my favorite email
program, and still have the message in the web interface.

Finally, I think that the review template is well defined for big
articles, but too detailed and impressive for the small contributions,
like some of the ones I have done. The author should be able to select the
type of article he submit, and the template proposed to the reviewer can
be selected according the the article type.

Just some ideas :-)

Gaetan

> Moreover, like any other journals, the editors have to do some research
> and see if others have published related work, etc... most of the time
> by looking at the list of references for a paper we are able to find
> reviewers.
>
> Hope that answers your question,
>
> Julien
>
> Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>  Is there something to help the associate editor to choose the
>> reviewers for a given article ?
>> For example, I think to be able to review an article about mathematical
>> morphology, but not about registration or complex statistics. How will
>> the associate editor make its choice ?
>>  Thanks,
>>  Gaetan
>>   On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:04:33 +0200, Stephen R. Aylward
>> <Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are looking for volunteers to be associate editors for the IJ.
>>>
>>> Associate editors receive an email when a new paper is posted on the
>>> IJ.   It will be their job to assign reviewers to those papers.   The
>>> IJ now contains the functionality for assigning and tracking reviewers
>>> for papers, so your job will begin with merely hitting a few buttons
>>> to invite reviewers.   You, however, will also be responsible for
>>> making sure the reviewers follow-through...hitting may also be
>>> involved in that process :)
>>>
>>> If you are interested, please send me or Luis an email.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Stephen
>>>
>>    --Gaëtan Lehmann
>> Biologie du Développement et de la Reproduction
>> INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
>> tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
>> http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr

Gaëtan Lehmann