[Insight-developers] Code coverage

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Fri Sep 23 11:45:24 EDT 2005

Folks,

I will be starting soon the humongous and ambitious task of increasing
the code coverage in ITK. I will try to accomplish this in two phases.
In the first phase, I will concentrate on writing test programs for
codes  with no test program. Secondly, I will reinforce the test
programs of the codes with very low coverage. The code coverage output
of "Esopus.crd" shows that  there are now more than 150 files untested
including  both *.h and *.txx
files!!(http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/esopus.crd/SunOS-5.7-c++/20050918-0100-Nightly/CoverageByUntested.html)

I will  tackle the ones in BasicFilters and Algoirhtm followed by the
ones in the other directories. From my initial investigation, "untested"
codes could be categorized into

1) Half-implemented codes (probably  the author gave up on it. Some of
them even have compilation errors..)
2) Fully implemented code which no test programs

I noticed that some of the fully implemented codes with no test programs
have been used in InsightApplications.  It is very likely that the
author of the code used the application as a test program. In fact, now
I think about it would be great if we have a cross
Insight-and-InsighApplications code testing mechanism.

Anyways, this is just to give you a heads up and I will be contacting
directly the authors of some of the codes I might have difficulty
figuring out especially the ones half-implemented.

Thanks.

-Andinet