[Insight-developers] Proposal:

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Sat Sep 10 08:43:53 EDT 2005

It would be great if we could do some sort of sensing to determine whether
the user community still needs VS 6.0 support.

While some people do not upgrade their compiler because of the costs involved
(particularly at universities and outside the US where cost of a compiler can
be a month's pay), a bigger concern is the people who cannot upgrade past VS 6.0
because they are integrating ITK into legacy applications which are built with
VS 6.0 and the development plans for those applications are not moving past VS 6.0.

I don't have any apps like this personally, but I want to make sure that we
are not leaving people behind. I propse that we pose the question to the user
list soon (say by the end of September).  If we do not get any compelling
response about the need for VS 6 support, then we can start transitioning code.

Of course, those parties still on VS 6, could still use ITK 2.2.

Jim