[Insight-developers] Testing procedures

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Sep 5 21:08:52 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 10:40 +1000, Richard Beare wrote:
> Hi,
> Just wondering where I might find guidelines for creating new tests
> and running/modifying existing tests.

FWIW, you know this already. As long as the test tests the salient
features of the filter to ensure that it works and has significant code
coverage, its good. As an aside, it would be nice to not have tests that
are minimal and don't take too long, (those probably qualify as
examples).

>  I'm also interested in timing
> information - is that part of the testing procedure?

There was some talk about adding profiling capabilities to CTest, using
gprof or Cachegrind but I have no idea how far that's got. ITK as such
has minimal capabilities for profiling.

itk::TimeProbe will suffice for "start"-"stop"- timing statistics that
you could spew as outputs from your tests (to post them to the
dashboard). There are a few tests that do this.
http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/dutch.caddlab/Cygwin-gcc33/20050905-0100-Nightly/Results/__Testing_Code_Numerics_Statistics_itkMersenneTwisterRandomVariateGeneratorTest_cxx.html

[ You could also do a timing analysis using your favourite profiler on
your machine and put it on the ITK wiki, or submit it to the Insight
journal ]