[Insight-developers] Can someone explain DiffusionTensor3D::GetRelativeAnisotropy() to me?

Simon Warfield warfield at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 7 13:49:43 EDT 2005

Torsten Rohlfing wrote:

> Good morning --
>
> At the risk of looking like a complete idiot, I was wondering whether
> someone could explain the implementation of
> DiffusionTensor3D::GetRelativeAnisotropy() to me.
>
> The code (purged of numerical safeguards etc) that I don't get is this:
>
>  const RealValueType anisotropy = 3.0 * isp - trace * trace;
>  const RealValueType relativeAnisotropySquared =
>        static_cast< RealValueType >( anisotropy / ( sqrt( 3.0 ) *
> trace ) );
>  const RealValueType relativeAnisotropy =
>        static_cast< RealValueType >( sqrt( relativeAnisotropySquared ) );
>
> where "isp" is the inner scalar product and "trace" is the tensor
> trace, both as returned by the respective class member functions.
>
> My problem is with the definition of "anisotropy" above. I assume that
> this is supposed to be the inner product of the anisotropic part of
> the tensor, that is, the inner product of  (tensor - (trace / 3) *
> identity). This is a double sum over the squares of differences
> between elements of the original tensor and the corresponding elements
> of (trace/3) times the identity tensor.

Check out Equation 27 here:
http://splweb.bwh.harvard.edu:8000/pages/papers/westin/media2002/Westin_Diffusion_MedAI_2002.pdf
and the definition of the norm at the top of the column.

--
Simon K. Warfield, Ph.D. warfield at bwh.harvard.edu Phone:617-732-7090
http://www.spl.harvard.edu/~warfield           FAX:  617-582-6033