[Insight-developers] [Fwd: Your UID prefix from Medical Connections]

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Wed Jan 5 17:55:12 EST 2005

Wow - they're fast....the ISC's UID is given below...

As Dr. Clunie said, we are obligated to make sure each suffix is
unique...or I may go to jail or spend an extra year in purgatory
or...hmmm, they're kind of unspecific on it...and guessing about how
some dicom databases operate, it probably is quite important.

To make suffixes unique...are some machine's random number generators
tied to GMT?   If not, perhaps a long random number appended to GMT at a
resolution of a 1/100th of a second is a good suffix.

Assuming that we don't want to get into trying to manage/delegate
sub-ranges of suffixes, I don't think we should make it easy for the
user to modify a suffix since they might succumb to the impression that
if they use 1234 then they would certainly not conflict with anyone else...

Stephen