[Insight-developers] [GDCM] Writting DICOM from scratch

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Fri Feb 25 11:26:09 EST 2005

Hello,

	Since gdcm 1.0 allows one to writea DICOM image from scratch I would
like to pull the functionality in the itkGDCM class. therefore user will
have two options:

1. Carry the DICOM Dictionary around through the MetaData Dictionary.
And Set it properly in the Writer.

2. Or use the ImageIOFactory and it will instanciate (based on .dcm
extension) an itkGDCMImageIO, with a DICOM dictionary created from scratch.

Option 2. Is great if you don't have access to a 'template' DICOM image
that you would reuse to write your DICOM image. But for now it is far
from complete. For example DICOM requires that an image has an
orientation. And right now I cannot get this information from nowhere.

Anyway I would still like to push the functionality in CVS HEAD.

Mathieu
Ps: patch is attached